Wednesday, January 28, 2009

It's ICE

It is 22 degrees outside here in Texas and we are going to have another ICE day which means no school for the kids for day #2. Yipee!

My first experience to a big storm in Dallas happened the first year we were here. I had Kendyl enrolled in a little Mom & Tots class at the Rec Center and the two of us didn't think twice to adventure out for class. When we walked in there was only Kendyl, myself, the teacher and one other mom & tot. Turns out we were from Utah, and the teacher and other Mom & tot were from Colorado so some slush on the roads was nothing to us snow driving crazies. I thought these Texas folk were big ole' babies hold up in their homes. Well little did I know that that day wasn't an ICE storm. Here in Texas it rains and then freezes leaving a sheet of ice on the road and sidewalks, freezing power lines, trees, cars, and so much more... And I thought driving and walking in snow was tough, this ICE stuff is impossible and crazy dangerous (I am watching news coverage right now and lots of car wrecks). Thank goodness it doesn't happen to often and should be thawed out by later this afternoon. I hope early enough for Riehle to be off to work today...he was out in this yesterday and all the gym junkies made their stop for a workout of course! They even lost power last night just before 9pm and had to kick out a bunch of muscle heads that wanted to keep working out in the dark. Idiots! All I know is Rand and I were very relieved when the garage door opened and in walked our oldest safe and sound.

I had to share the picture above that a friend emailed us, it is really of an ice storm in Switzerland in a city near a lake but that is ICE. Of course we haven't seen anything like that in Texas...but we all had a good laugh when after numerous pictures of this extreme Switzerland ICE storm the email ended in...
Now Quit complaining that you're Cold!!

1 comment:

  1. Whew - I'm glad to hear that the snow/ice wasn't that bad in Texas! Lisa lives in the midwest and is always telling me about the ice storms.

    ReplyDelete