What a crazy week...Wednesday I get to work get off the elevator and I'm walking down the hall to my office and the power goes off. Lucky me...lucky that I had stepped out of the elevator seconds before! The elevators at our office building have these awesome windows that look outside to the wonderful world but to a claustrophobic nut like me even that beautiful scene wouldn't have kept me calm for the hour and a half wait for the power to come back on. Lucky me...lucky that I have a window in my office so I could sit in my office and still get work done! The other people who have the inner offices were roaming around in the hallways looking for light from some of us lucky window people, I even left my door open to let light out into the dark halls. What a crazy morning, when the power did finally return it would pop off here and there long enough to shut off my computer and keep me starting over again and again. Lucky me I didn't get stuck in that elevator... because just that little peace of mind kept me cool and collected during the whole whirlwind morning.
But then comes Thursday...I am about to go up in the elevator and I get a call from my boss telling me that he has been trying all morning to get out the door but has to admit he is just to sick. Dilemma, I have an opportunity meeting and expecting 4 recruits to the office in one hour! So I hit the phones to reschedule them and only get voice mails...yikes...I call Rand to see if he can rescue me...he is just stepping out of the shower and lucky me he doesn't have an appointment until later and he will hurry to see what he can do. Now Rand hasn't done a recruiting presentation for over 4 years and I am asking him to come in and talk along with a power point that he has never seen. Wow, not only am I stressed I am sure he was thinking WTH did I just agree to. ALL the recruits show up, I greet them with the fact Mike is sick and I have another DSC rushing in to meet with them. Rand blows in, quickly previews the slides and we start the meeting only 5 minutes late! After I get them up and started I go back to my office to stress and pray that putting Rand in this position wasn't asking too much. Rand comes out with a smile on his face and excited that he had a GREAT meeting and it was just like riding a bike, and that all four recruits seemed interested in returning for individual interviews. So the next step is for me to call them back in the afternoon and schedule them to return to speak with Mike. This process sometimes results in some recruits not interested in the position so it is a hit and miss game of who will return to work the life of insurance sales. I am happy to report Rand is four for four!!! Even though we were both a bundle of nerves to this rescue mission Rand saved my day!! Thanks honey for always being there for me in a pinch!
Oh, it doesn't end there...the real whirl--wind happened while Rand was off rescuing me! Thursday was a very windy day here in Texas and Rand and I even sat and laughed in my office as plastic bags and chunks of branches with leaves blew by my window on the third floor. Rand returned home to collect the things he needed for his appointment and when he let the dog out back he sees that a portion of the fence is down. Dang Texas winds...it snapped 5 poles and dropped three panels to the ground...hello neighbors yard! So our weekend will consist of digging out the broken poles and trying to figure out where we come up with money for this unexpected kick in the butt. I am so not looking forward to the rest of the week as we deal with the aches and pains that come from digging in what we call sticky dirt. Texas dirt sticks to your shovel, your gloves, your shoes, you have to pry it off which slows us down and gives us those aching muscles in your hands, fingers, your knees & back from hanging over the hole scooping sticky dirt. Thank goodness for our hot tub which we will be firing up for a looooonnnnnggg soak.
Well at least one good thing came out of Thursday...Kendyl had her first cheerleader pratice and when I picked her up she was all smiles and chatter of having a fun time. I am sooooo relieved that we made that investment (and cheerleading IS an investment!) when the results is watching Kendyl beam about her new adventure. Now I just cross my fingers that she still is smiling when she realizes the hard work that will surely follow...two practices a week, lots of new things to learn, and big expectations to be "perky, perky, perky". Actually Kendyl should do fine she has wanted to be a cheerleader since she was little and she is always been a bouncing bundle of energy. Will keep you posted, and maybe even get some pictures of the uniforms and things we invested in when they arrive :)
Time to get to digging!
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So - did you get the fence done? Sounds like a crazy week. I think we all have ones like that sometimes - but sounds like you handled it well.
ReplyDelete